Thursday, December 10, 2009
Peanut Butter Sandwich
1 jar peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1 or 2 slices store bought sandwich bread, pre-sliced
1. Unscrew lid of peanut butter jar, and pierce protective foil and paper wrapping with a butter knife.
2. Using the knife as a wedge or lever, lift protective wrapping, then grasp lifted portion of wrapping firmly with fingers and remove remaining wrapping, exposing peanut butter. (first two steps should be skipped if jar of peanut butter is already open)
3. Using butter knife, scoop about one heaping tablespoon of peanut butter and place on center of one slice of bread.
4. Spread evenly on bread with knife, running flat of knife periodically against edge of bread to remove excess peanut butter stuck to the knife.
5. Fold slice of bread in half for a higher peanut butter to bread ratio, or place second slice of bread on top of peanut buttered bread so that peanut butter forms a layer between two layers of bread.
6. Consume immediately or wrap in paper or plastic to consume later. Keeps for 8-10 hours unrefrigerated.
Recipe serves 1
Once one has learned to make a peanut butter sandwich, there are many delightful variations that may be attempted. Here are just three:
"PB&J" - Spread a thin layer of fruit jelly on second slice of bread before putting it on top of first slice of bread. Jelly and peanut butter should touch. Jelly makes bread soggy, so this variation must be consumed immediately.
"Peanut butter and banana" - Take sliced banana (recipe will appear on this blog at later date), and arrange slices evenly on top of bread with peanut butter (after step 4). Proceed as original recipe, taking care to press down firmly on top slice of bread. Consume immediately.
"Ham sandwich" - Omit peanut butter. Instead, place slice of ham on top of first slice of bread, and then top with second slice of bread. Consume within 4 hours.
Posted by manoverbored at 9:53 AM